NaBloPomo! Because It Will Get Me Blogging Again

About non-relationship stuff. I missed the first day, so I'm going to jump into the second prompt:
When was the last time you did something brave? What happened?


Hmmm brave...not a word I would use to describe myself. I'm not a shrinking violet but I don't consider anything I do to be especially brave. I don't run into burning buildings or towards any other kinds of danger. I'm not a thrill seeker and avoid rollercoasters and the like (although I do enjoy waterslides.) I wish I was a braver person, I admire brave people.


In a way though, I'm thankful for the fact that I don't need to be brave. I'm a white girl from a suburb in the northeast of the USA, a really nice suburb at that. I've never been placed in a life threatening situation. I've never been attacked. I have never been homeless and there has always been food on my table. In my lifetime my country has lived in relative peace. Boko Harum and Dash are just names of "bad guys" that are millions of miles away. The Syrian civil war and plight of the refugees trying to escape it isn't even something I can being to relate to. I feel both guilty and thankful for this fact. Throw helpless on that list of emotions too. Because from here there is very little I can do except throw money at charities that may be helping refugees but could also be a front for a terrorist organization (I've worked in banking for 20 years, you wouldn't believe how many people have unwittingly given money to terrorists.) So maybe throw jaded on that list too?


My point is, in my life there isn't much cause for me to be what I consider brave and I'm not stupid enough to take that for granted. I truly hope to continue to have a blessed life.


With all that said, I've been told that I was "super brave" to go to Hawaii for 8 days on my own. I don't consider this brave at all as I enjoy traveling alone. As far as what happened? It was lovely, I went to one beach or another every day, swam in the Pacific, relaxed, ate and drank whatever and whenever I wanted. I walked all over Honolulu. I jumped on The Bus and got lost on purpose to really see the city then found my way back to the hotel. I felt peaceful and at home and whole. I did NOT, sadly, hook up with a local but maybe I will next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging as Therapy

Hello Neglected Blog!

Hello, I Am a Podcast Addict