NaBloPoMo #7

YAY two days in a row!!!

Today's Prompt: What are the best/worst dishes at Thanksgiving Dinner?


This is a good one, I adore food. All aspects of food: meal planning, shopping, prepping, cooking, serving and eating it I love it all.

So best for me would have to be the mashed potatoes. With the turkey as a very close second. What can I say, I'm a meat and potatoes kind of girl - but also veggies because salad is delicious and so is broccoli and cauliflower and sprouts and....moving on.

I'm not sure why but a mountain of creamy, gravy covered mashed potatoes just makes my heart happy. I think it's the ultimate comfort food. I love how versatile potatoes are in general but I especially love how many ways there are to make mashed especially. They are perfect when simply whipped with a little bit of milk, salt, pepper and maybe a pat of butter. But add a bit of heavy cream, a touch more butter, a heaping spoonful of sour cream and its almost an entirely different food. I love to go all out when I make mashed potatoes, garlic and onion powder, black pepper, sour cream, cheddar cheese, butter, green onions and bacon all whipped together (with more bacon on top because: bacon) they are a meal in and of themselves. Seriously who needs anything else on their plate?  Not me. I can't stand boxed mashed potatoes though, why are they even a thing? Also how do they make them?? I'd almost understand the need for them if it was a difficult food to make but how hard is peel, boil, beat? Even my mom could have handled that one.  I wish my Ri guy would eat any kind of potato. He's just not a fan of the potato at all, not even french fries really. Sadly, the girls grew up on boxed and T has never taken to actual real mashed potatoes. Luckily, S loved real mashed from first bite and has never looked back. T will have to live without her boxed because I'd rather die than let them in my kitchen.

As for the worst dish, I would have to say anything overly sweet. I can't stand sweet potatoes or yams covered in maple syrup and marshmallow or cranberry sauce that was made with so much sugar that you can't really taste the cranberry anymore (they are supposed to be tart!)

This post reminds me that Thanksgiving is next week. Time to put a menu together and hit the grocery store!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging as Therapy

Hello Neglected Blog!

Hello, I Am a Podcast Addict