What the Hell Day Is It Anyway?

Today was interesting.  I thought it was Tuesday until around noon.  Finding out it was Wednesday was actually a nice surprise, that much closer to the weekend! I have June 1st off too for someone's birthday. I like all this not working and I'm looking forward to July when I'll have 2 full weeks of not working.  

At lunchtime P sent me a text asking how the day was going and lamenting the fact that the weather is getting warmer and there was still a ton of "stuff" to do in the yard (P is NOT a fan of hot weather, unless I'm on a beach neither am I.)

I rattled my brain for a few minutes trying to think of what "stuff" was left to do. A few weeks ago we weeded and mulched flower beds, he had mowed the lawn over the weekend. I'm sure the sole tomato plant we planted is doomed but it had been watered Monday. What else could there possibly be to do out in the yard? I couldn't think of anything so I asked what he was talking about. Apparently flower beds need to be weeded many times throughout a season not just once at the start of it (who knew?) And the fence that we put up last summer was ready for stain this year.  And there was some work to be done on all the cars (nothing major but he's a mechanic and likes to keep the cars spinning like tops. I appreciate that but can't help in anyway.) So long story short I said I would drop by after work and weed the flower beds again.  Tomorrow (weather permitting) we will stain the fence.

This isn't a complaint in any way but some days I wonder how I get roped into these things. For those that can't tell, my idea of lawn/yard care is...well I have no idea. I've never helped take care of a yard before and really I don't see the point. What's wrong with the plants that just grow on their own? What is wrong with weeds? Why fight nature by pulling up one plant to put in a different plant that you happen to think is nicer? What makes it nicer? A fairly frequent argument (not only with P&H) is Dandelions. They are considered weeds but I love them. They are like perfect balls of sunshine growing out of the earth. Strong, healthy, resilient, bright, wild, happy things (and food to boot.)  Same goes for Buttercups (minus the food thing) and clover (Hello? Honey!) and little wild violets. Why would anyone in their right mind rip out or poison Dandelions and Buttercups only to spend sometimes hundreds of dollars (and so much time and effort) on domesticated flowers and mulch? The domestic flowers are no more attractive, if anything I find them dull, sad, organized, boxed in things.  Why have flowers in only a few places when the ground around you could be wild with them?  I'll take the wild, bright, disorganized happy flowers over a well-maintained bed any day.  But there I was tonight, pulling up weeds happily because it seemed to make P feel less stressed and I like that.    

Whatever works, right?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging as Therapy

Hello Neglected Blog!

Hello, I Am a Podcast Addict