I Would Like to Thank The Universe for Letting Last Week End...

The past week has been...awful. It all started Friday when one of my oldest friend, K, texted saying she felt like a gallbladder attack coming on. K has battled gallstones for going on 4 years now. Her attacks started like mine, crazy nausea, vomiting, exhaustion. Unlike my single attack (MRI confirmed that it resolved and hasn't come back, knock wood), hers would resolve and come back. Each time the attacks would get worse and lately if they they landed her in the ER needing pain and anti-nausea medications. Her GP is very aware of this situation and had referred her to a surgeon...who couldn't see her for 6 weeks. Her appointment with him was still 4 weeks away when this attack started. She called her GP and was told to go right to the hospital. If the symptoms got bad enough they would remove the gallbladder on an emergency basis. She texted me Saturday afternoon that they were taking her in for surgery. I tried calling her later that night and a few times on Sunday but she was too out of it to answer. She came home Tuesday and has been resting comfortably at home. She's been fighting almost non-stop with her mom but for them that's normal.  I felt awful that there wasn't anything I could do for her. I offered rides to and from the hospital but she had them in place already.

And then Monday came. Monday started with the news that the adult son of one of my bosses had passed away.  Work has sucked lately, I mean it's never great but usually I can push through without much complaining.. I'm not the kind of person that says they love their job. I do my job because its how I make a living, not because I find it inspiring. I really don't even like the industry I'm in. I do like my co-workers though. The majority of them are wonderful people.  I have worked for this very kind woman for over 5 years, as you can imagine we've all talked about our families over those years so this horrible news for everyone. Every parents worst nightmare, the one none of us even dare think about. I think the departments collective heart broke for her. Then I started thinking about it. This is the third time a co-worker has lost a child in the last 2 years. Fourth if I count an old friend that works in another area of my company. My superstitious side kicked in big time and I started applying for jobs around 11am. I'm still looking. Call me crazy but I have a son and (sorta) two step-daughters that I love, very, very much. Why risk it?

Tuesday we found out that it wasn't just that our bosses son had died, he had committed a murder-suicide after a night of drinking. None of us thought we could possibly feel worse for our boss but somehow we did. It was all so surreal. My boss is one of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. That is was happening to her...I know I just couldn't believe it. My entire department was in shock. It was strange but everyone said the same thing "I just want to hug her and let her know I'm there for her." everyone, even the grouchy people you wouldn't expect to care.

Wednesday but just busy, it felt like I never stopped all day. I was glad to get home and turn my brain off.

Thursday I thought would be a better day, couldn't get worse, right? Wrong. Around 8:30am I got a text from my mom, "I know you've had a rough week but R (youngest nephew) had a seizure this morning, your sister and brother in law are at the hospital with him now. I'm leaving for NC on the next flight."
Seriously? I adore my nephews, I don't see them often but I love them like crazy. The next few hours were flurries of texts back and fourth with updates, thank goodness my nephew is probably fine. Apparently the odd seizure is perfectly normal with the onset of puberty, it will probably never, ever happen again. But good god did we all go into panic mode. R was released from the hospital with a "clean" EEG, two exhausted parents and a follow up with a neurologist. I wish I could say I was kidding about this next part. Fifteen minutes after receiving the message that R was headed home another very good friend texted that her very beloved cat had died. J didn't have kids, she had a cat. I know not everyone agrees but I really do think that pets are family. J mothered and nurtured her cat from kitten infancy. She found him, cold, alone, infested with fleas and ticks, eyes still sealed shut in a bush by her front door. Many would have left him there to die but not J. She scooped him up, wrapped him in a tea towel and took him to a vet, who offered to put him down. When she said no, he  gave her medication for the fleas and ticks and directions on eyedropper feeding a kitten, every 2 hours, around the clock. That was 16 years ago. She truly raised that cat and she deserves to grieve over him. I have to admit to shedding a tear or two too. It had been a very long week at this point and having another friend in pain just got to me (also, as Fido's pet sitter, he was a very sweet cat and will be missed.)

Friday was the wake and another very long day. 'Nuff said.

Saturday I played housewife/Mom Taxi while P&H were both working. I have to say this not seeing P at all during the week (because he works nights and I work days) and lately not until after noon on Saturday (because every other week he works 6am-12pm, except they've needed help so he's been there just about every Saturday) is starting to get old. Maybe it was because I had a very stressful week but I felt stressed out all weekend too. Him not being around didn't help. When he was home he was exhausted (3 hours sleep will do that) and sorta cranky. Then his mom called. I'm still not exactly clear on what happened but when I got out of the shower he was furious and frankly being an asshole.  I had to stop and count to 10 with Mississippi's before opening my mouth because honestly, it wouldn't have been pretty if I hadn't. P and I NEVER fight, I'd like to keep it that way but I'm starting to think that might not be realistic.  

I do that this is a small price to pay for how much better this job is. He's good at it and he likes it, so I'll just have to deal with seeing him less than I did before I lived here, which is odd considering I moved here to see them more. Oh well...best laid plans of mice and men, etc.

Sunday the six of us went to the movies (Hotel Transylvania 2, very cute!) it was nice until H and I had a couple disagreements. The first over stupid real estate (I should just keep my mouth shut) and the second over daughter #1 driving. Again, I need to start stepping back and saying "ok, not my kid" and leaving it, even if I think she's letter her own fears hold the kids back. So that's my new goal. I'm here to love on them, keep them fed and safe. Beyond that, I'm done.

I'm Done is probably going to be my motto for a while. But that's ok because....well because it has to be. Needs must...as they say...

Catie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging as Therapy

Hello Neglected Blog!

Hello, I Am a Podcast Addict